Friday, September 23, 2011

K E H L S T E I N H A U S

** click on picture to see it larger
Going on a {super strong} recommendation from friends, we scheduled a stop by Kehlsteinhaus, or Hitler's Tea House on the last day of our weekend whirlwind trip with Mac and Starr. It was supposed to offer an amazing view.

It definitely didn't disappoint. I think Jim repeated himself maybe five {or ten} times, "This is the highlight for me."

This might possibly have been Justin, Ty and Mac's favorite spot as well. Again, the pictures don't do it justice.

Also known as the Eagle's Nest, this structure was built up on a ridge at the top of Kehlstein peak {more than 6,000 feet in elevation} above Berchesgarde by the Nazis as a gift to Hitler for his 50th birthday. It was completed in 1938.

While Hitler only went there a few times, it was crazy to think that we were standing on the same ground.

To get to the top, we first drove quite a ways up a winding road. Already, we were impressed with the steep incline- little did we know! After reaching the parking lot, we bought our tickets to take the bus the rest of the way up.


They have the road closed to cars for obvious reasons. During the winter months, it's closed all together. There's no way a car could make it up there with even a dusting of snow on the road.

Of course, I had to take a picture of the Germans. No naked dad pictures from Lake Eibsee, but I got these three. I'm all about the entire cultural experience.

This was the part, I don't think any of us anticipated. It was CRAZY.
The road was only about four miles long, but just 13 feet wide with the sharpest corners I think I've ever been on and a crazy bus driver who didn't seem phased with the fact that we were so high. It was straight up. He drove fast.

At times, you couldn't even see the side of the road, just the side of the mountain. Yes, it was intense for more than one of us. Crazy intense.

Once we were dropped off by the bus, we walked through a tunnel to an elevator to complete our goal of reaching the peak. Again, we couldn't have asked for better weather.

The skies were totally clear- the view seemed to go on forever.

It was absolutely amazing. So high the mom in me kicked in and I kept feeling like I had to hold on to the little guys and tell the big guys {more than once} to be careful.

There is a restaurant up there now and some railing, but for the most part it's wide open- especially at the very top.

Mac, Starr and the big boys went out on this rock. I was way too afraid.  I loved the view, but heights are just not my thing. I definitely kept a safe distance between myself and the edge.
The views all the way around were beyond impressive. With shoes still sopping wet from his dip in Lake Eibsee {as per his mamma}, Coleman was wearing sandals on this day- not the best shoes to be wearing. He was a little unhappy.
We took so many pictures- here are just a couple. It was a day we definitely won't forget.

No comments: